Where we began


Duckworths electrical was established in 1950 at 188 Whalley New Road, Blackburn by John and Fred Duckworth, two friends whom coincidently shared the same surname. Initially the pair ran a shop selling and repairing domestic appliances specialising in cooker repairs. Shortly after the business was established john's wife Hilda joined the company mainly focussing on the clerical side of the company. sadly in the early years the company suffered the untimely death of Fred duckworth. However, John and Hilda continued to run the company and in the early 1980s John and Hilda's son (also John) joined the family business. John helped his parents to run the shop influencing a move into the contracting side of the electrical industry. After 26 years at the original shop the company moved to 471 Whalley New Road. The new shop location offered better parking and a larger display space to accomodate an increase in the variety of stock. The business continued to operate from 471 Whalley New Road untill 1997 when John and Hilda retired. Sadly the shop closed as the business could not compete with the larger electrical stores which were more increasing in popularity on the highstreet. Subsequently, John Junior took over the business concentrating on the contracting side. In 2010 John's son Gavin joined the family business and in 2010 Gavin took the company reins when his father emigrated to warmer regions